5 Facts on Varicose and Spider Veins
Varicose and spider veins happens to almost anyone and could be influenced by a variety of factors — from one’s lifestyle to genetic influences. At the Physicians Vein Clinic, we help you deal with both varicose and spider veins through our wide array of treatments, including a free varicose vein screening in our South Dakota and Iowa clinics. You might also want to read below to learn more about vein conditions.
1. While both varicose and spider veins are often used interchangeably in literature, it is important to note that both of them are quite different. Varicose veins often appear enlarged, bulging, and twisted. They could appear raised above your skin’s surface. On the other hand, spider veins are like mini-varicose veins as they are smaller in appearance. They are called “spider” veins due to their spider-like appearance.
2. Varicose veins are often found on the inside of your legs, back of the calves, and thighs. Spider veins, on the contrary, tend to appear in your face.
3. By and large, varicose veins are caused by damaged or weak valves, wherein the blood supposedly pumped out of the veins could leak back and accumulate in the veins themselves. As for spider veins, its appearance is often attributed to pooling of blood and factors such as medications, age, and lifestyle. However, the exact cause of both varicose and spider veins are unknown.
4. Apart from their mottled appearance, other symptoms that accompany varicose veins include the following:
Cramping or throbbing
Pain which could get worse after standing or sitting for a long time
Feeling of Heaviness
5. Apart from a thorough physical assessment, several diagnostic exams are employed when it comes to figuring out the severity of your varicose and spider veins. You may be ask to undergo ultrasound to check for blood clots, assess the blood flow in your veins, and check out the structure of your veins. A venogram may be ordered to give your doctor a more detailed view of your views.
Varicose Vein Treatments In Sioux Falls, SD
The Physicians Vein Clinic employs advanced technologies in the diagnosis and treatment of vein problems, complemented with compassionate patient care which results to positive outcomes. Schedule an initial consultation with us by calling 800-834-6362! We look forward to helping you!