Conservative Therapies Explained
If you have done any research at all on varicose vein treatments, you’ve come across the term “conservative therapies.” If you’re like many of my patients, you are confused about what this means. In general, conservative therapies are the methods used decrease the symptoms of venous insufficiency. Insurance companies sometimes ask clients to try conservative therapies for 6 to 12 weeks before they will cover the cost of a medical procedure. These are the therapies most recommended by Physicians Vein Clinics:
• Compression stockings. Before you cringe, let me explain. These aren’t your grandma’s stockings! Today’s compression stockings come in fashionable fabrics, colors and styles and are designed to apply a gradient of pressure against your leg. This pressure makes it easier for your body to pump blood upward and harder for gravity to pull it downward. Many patients claim wearing compression stockings feels like their legs are being massaged while they wear them. We can help you find compression stockings that fit into your lifestyle. Just ask!
• Avoid high heels. High heels limit your ankle motion and interfere with the pumping of your blood. If you must wear high heels, wear compression stockings, take frequent breaks with your shoes off and consciously flex your ankles up and down whenever possible.
• Exercise. Strong calf muscles are more efficient at helping pump blood through your legs veins. Walking, running or any other type of exercise that includes continuous leg motion is a great form of exercise for improving blood circulation to your legs.
• Leg elevation. Elevating your legs above the level of your heart can help gravity do its job in circulating blood flow through your legs. You can do this by lying on the floor or bed with pillows under your legs or by putting your feet up high on the wall.
• Anti-inflammatory medications or supplements. The experts at Physicians Vein Clinics can talk to you about specific products and dosages depending on your symptoms, severity and lifestyle. These products are generally designed to reduce swelling and to supplement other forms of conservative therapies.
Mild cases of spider veins and varicose veins often find relief and decreased symptoms by using conservative therapies. We can tell you more about expectations with a FREE varicose vein screening at Physicians Vein Clinics. Just call today to schedule your screening.
Thanks for visiting our blog. We frequently update this section with timely information and answers to questions from our clients. If you have a question you’d like to see answered, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.